Old 01-03-2006, 02:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Phil L

Default ground covering invasive weed ID

Des Higgins wrote:
"Phil L" wrote in message
k...
Spreads like the proverbial wildfire although it is quite easily
removed. It's leaves are teardrop shaped and green and stay like
this throughout the year but the most unusual thing about it is that
part of it's leaves are silver, shiny silver, almost metallic...it
spreads via 'runners' like buttercups and strawberries.

Potentilla anserina?
Silverweed?
If it is,
it has pretty yellow flat flowers with 5 petals or so and red runners
and shiny silver leaves but the leaves are pinnate (two rows of
leaflets along central axis, and each is teardrop shaped but has
finely divided edges. It is very common on wasteground and is a
native weed.

No it's nothing like that, the leaves are almost round, with just a point at
their ends, each leaf is about the size of an old penny, the green is a
darkish green....I don't recall ever seeing it flower, although it must do I
suppose.

Thanks though for looking.