Old 01-03-2006, 11:44 PM posted to austin.gardening
David Wright

Default Starting a new lawn?

"revert" wrote in message

Looking for some advice about my lawn has i have little experience. We
moved into this house recently and would like to have a nice lawn. We
live in west texas, so it's hot and dry. The garden receives very
little shade as we're south facing.

I'm attaching an image to show it's current condition. Apparantly the
soil is pretty decent for this area. All i've really done so far is
kill off most of the weeds. Should we be starting anew, tilling etc?
Thanks.
revert

You didn't say where you live in west Texas, but anywhere out there is going
to present a challenge, in both water usage and labor, to maintain a lawn.
Alternatively, there are perennial native plants that are beautiful, drought
hardy, and attractive to hummingbirds and butterflies. Esperanza (also
called Yellow Bells) and Desert Willow are two from west Texas that I have
in my yard. There are more.

Please don't succumb to the idea that you must have a lawn no matter where
you live. What a waste of precious water to try to make grass grow where it
doesn't want to!

David