Old 01-03-2006, 07:32 PM
Registered User

Default Starting a new lawn?

Looking for some advice about my lawn has i have little experience. We moved into this house recently and would like to have a nice lawn. We live in west texas, so it's hot and dry. The garden receives very little shade as we're south facing.

I'm attaching an image to show it's current condition. Apparantly the soil is pretty decent for this area. All i've really done so far is kill off most of the weeds. Should we be starting anew, tilling etc? Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Starting a new lawn?-garden.jpg
Old 01-03-2006, 11:33 PM posted to austin.gardening
Scott Sexton

In article , revert.2409z8
@gardenbanter.co.uk says...

Looking for some advice about my lawn has i have little experience. We
moved into this house recently and would like to have a nice lawn. We
live in west texas, so it's hot and dry. The garden receives very
little shade as we're south facing.

I'm attaching an image to show it's current condition. Apparantly the
soil is pretty decent for this area. All i've really done so far is
kill off most of the weeds. Should we be starting anew, tilling etc?
Thanks.

|Filename: garden.jpg |
|Download: http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=2896|

revert

I would suggest talking to a LOCAL nursery or gardening shop. They will
know what grows in your area.

Scott H. Sexton help@
www.sexton.com sexton.com
Eeyore's Birthday Party http://eeyores.sexton.com
Old 01-03-2006, 11:44 PM posted to austin.gardening
David Wright

"revert" wrote in message

Looking for some advice about my lawn has i have little experience. We
moved into this house recently and would like to have a nice lawn. We
live in west texas, so it's hot and dry. The garden receives very
little shade as we're south facing.

I'm attaching an image to show it's current condition. Apparantly the
soil is pretty decent for this area. All i've really done so far is
kill off most of the weeds. Should we be starting anew, tilling etc?
Thanks.
revert

You didn't say where you live in west Texas, but anywhere out there is going
to present a challenge, in both water usage and labor, to maintain a lawn.
Alternatively, there are perennial native plants that are beautiful, drought
hardy, and attractive to hummingbirds and butterflies. Esperanza (also
called Yellow Bells) and Desert Willow are two from west Texas that I have
in my yard. There are more.

Please don't succumb to the idea that you must have a lawn no matter where
you live. What a waste of precious water to try to make grass grow where it
doesn't want to!

David

Old 02-03-2006, 12:22 AM posted to austin.gardening
Jim Marrs

As a native born West Texan, I strongly suggest you plant a good
Bermuda. Bermuda is very drought tolerant, uses less water than most grasses
(like St Augustine). The cons: some times hard to control from invading
flower beds and goes dormant and looks dead in the winter. Some ( myself
included) do not mind a dead looking winter lawn.

Good Luck and have fun

JEM

Old 02-03-2006, 03:15 AM
Registered User

Thanks for the reply's, i'm in El Paso. We alread have some seed, given to us. Pennington Bermuda, Sahara. It's my wife that really wants a lawn and i'm not going to argue with her. I figured with the Bermuda i might get away with watering twice a week and i may only seed part of the back yard.

I guess what i need to know is whether or not i should hire a tiller and start fresh, there's patches of grass as you can see in the pictures. I'm also guessing it's a little early to be seeding right now?

Thanks again.

Old 02-03-2006, 10:31 AM posted to austin.gardening
Bud Stein

revert wrote:
Thanks for the reply's, i'm in El Paso. We alread have some seed, given
to us. Pennington Bermuda, Sahara. It's my wife that really wants a
lawn and i'm not going to argue with her. I figured with the Bermuda i
might get away with watering twice a week and i may only seed part of
the back yard.

Revert,

I am not from West Texas but when traveling through El Paso, I only see
green lawns and trees where irrigation canals flooded with water exist.

Bud Stein
Old 03-03-2006, 12:24 AM
Registered User

Bud, you'd be surprised, there's a lot of green lawn around here. Our next door niegbours is beautiful though dormant right now. In El Paso a lot of people don't care for their gardens but the ones who have great grass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud Stein

Old 07-03-2006, 04:32 AM posted to austin.gardening
Latosha Washington

The seed is going to take some work - rack it in with good dirt, water
often, and fertilize. I use the Greensense 6-2-4 natural lawn and garden
fertilizer (you can get this at Casa Verde Nursery I think and also AAFES
usually). Also, the seeds need the day temps to be in the 80s to germinate
properly, and not tool cold at night so you might want to wait a few weeks.
Make sure you treat for fungus if you water often, and don't forget to treat
for grubs around May.

The baby seedlings will die in the sun if not watered often (like every day
for several weeks).

--
revert

Old 10-03-2006, 08:40 PM
Registered User

Thanks for the tips Latosha. I'll keep them in mind. Probably going to start seeding in a months time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latosha Washington