Old 03-03-2006, 02:41 PM posted to aus.gardens
Terry Collins

Default Good plants for a trellis?

slugbug wrote:

I am wondering if anyone out there has any suggestions for vegetables
that do a good job of climbing and hanging on to trellises. I have 3
separate sections of trellis:

I am especially interested in:

tomato varieties

cucumber varieties

Just try some.
You can grwo Qld blue and butternuts verticall, just have a mesh bag to
support the fruit.

vining beans

Any climbing bean should suffice. We have good success this year with
snake beans to 15' high. You could also add another lessor climber, like
purple climbing beans to the bottom.

some small fruited squash

Eden seed sell small gourds, which are really small squash. We tried
their mixed small and have a few little gourds growing well so far (late
planting)

exotic vining fruits?

Choko?
Passionfruit?

I am really limited to things that will grow in a year, because we will
probably only be in this house this year and next year. As such,
grapes are probably out. However, I would be interested in any sort of
vining fruit that would do well on a trellis. Thanks!