Old 11-03-2003, 09:44 PM
Pam

Default Privacy Hedge...

"Chris S." wrote:

Hi, I'm seeking advice on what to use for a privacy hedge. I'm in zone 5,
length of hedge will be about 40', in full sun, would like a fast grower
(4'-6' in three years or so). Would prefer evergreen, but not a must.

Was thinking about Privet, but from what I've read it sounds like it's
invasive, burdensome, and high maintenance. Maintenance doesn't bother me
much, but I don't think my neighbor would appreciate something that would
spread into his yard.

Any input appreciated.
Chris Swartz

You don't mention the desired ultimate height, but Euonymus 'Manhattan' may
work. Most other evergreens hardy enough for your climate will grow
relatively slowly, but you can always resort to arborvitae (Thuja
occidentalis). There is a good reason these are such commonplace hedge plants
- narrow form, good hardiness, adaptable to range of conditions - and various
cultivars can put on rather rapid growth. You can also get them inexpensively
at a pretty good size - 5-6 footers are pretty common.

pam - gardengal