Old 11-03-2003, 09:21 PM
Chris S.

Default Privacy Hedge...

Hi, I'm seeking advice on what to use for a privacy hedge. I'm in zone 5,
length of hedge will be about 40', in full sun, would like a fast grower
(4'-6' in three years or so). Would prefer evergreen, but not a must.

Was thinking about Privet, but from what I've read it sounds like it's
invasive, burdensome, and high maintenance. Maintenance doesn't bother me
much, but I don't think my neighbor would appreciate something that would
spread into his yard.

Any input appreciated.
Chris Swartz
Old 11-03-2003, 09:44 PM
Pam

"Chris S." wrote:

Hi, I'm seeking advice on what to use for a privacy hedge. I'm in zone 5,
length of hedge will be about 40', in full sun, would like a fast grower
(4'-6' in three years or so). Would prefer evergreen, but not a must.

Was thinking about Privet, but from what I've read it sounds like it's
invasive, burdensome, and high maintenance. Maintenance doesn't bother me
much, but I don't think my neighbor would appreciate something that would
spread into his yard.

Any input appreciated.
Chris Swartz

You don't mention the desired ultimate height, but Euonymus 'Manhattan' may
work. Most other evergreens hardy enough for your climate will grow
relatively slowly, but you can always resort to arborvitae (Thuja
occidentalis). There is a good reason these are such commonplace hedge plants
- narrow form, good hardiness, adaptable to range of conditions - and various
cultivars can put on rather rapid growth. You can also get them inexpensively
at a pretty good size - 5-6 footers are pretty common.

pam - gardengal

Old 12-03-2003, 06:32 PM
Linda Adie

"Chris S." wrote in message

Hi, I'm seeking advice on what to use for a privacy hedge. I'm in zone 5,
length of hedge will be about 40', in full sun, would like a fast grower
(4'-6' in three years or so). Would prefer evergreen, but not a must.

Was thinking about Privet, but from what I've read it sounds like it's
invasive, burdensome, and high maintenance. Maintenance doesn't bother me
much, but I don't think my neighbor would appreciate something that would
spread into his yard.

Any input appreciated.
Chris Swartz

Hi Chris

I have had a privet hedge as a boundary for a long time and is not a
problem I cut it once to twice a year and give it a good haircut about
every 5 years to keep it really trim it was about 6 feet but I chopped
it down to 4 feet and its fine hope this helps

regards Linda
Old 12-03-2003, 09:32 PM
Dr. Rev. Chuck, M.D. P.A.

Chris S. wrote:

Hi, I'm seeking advice on what to use for a privacy hedge. I'm in zone 5,
length of hedge will be about 40', in full sun, would like a fast grower
(4'-6' in three years or so). Would prefer evergreen, but not a must.

Was thinking about Privet, but from what I've read it sounds like it's
invasive, burdensome, and high maintenance. Maintenance doesn't bother me
much, but I don't think my neighbor would appreciate something that would
spread into his yard.

What's adjacent on his side? Plain lawn? Does he mow it on an average
basis? Should be no problem.

At any rate, why not ask if he too wouldn't mind a privacy hedge, at no
expense on his part?

Old 12-03-2003, 09:45 PM
Anna Merchant

I have had a privet hedge as a boundary for a long time and is not a
problem I cut it once to twice a year and give it a good haircut about
every 5 years to keep it really trim it was about 6 feet but I chopped
it down to 4 feet and its fine hope this helps

I wouldnt use Privet at all, it is really annoying and bothersome for anyone
with hayfever. Makes my nose stream as soon as I get near it...

--
Anna Merchant
http://www.thecotfactory.co.nz

Old 15-03-2003, 02:32 AM
GrampysGurl

Was thinking about Privet, but from what I've read it sounds like it's
invasive, burdensome, and high maintenance. Maintenance doesn't bother me
much, but I don't think my neighbor would appreciate something that would
spread into his yard.

Any input appreciated.
Chris Swartz

I am zone 5 Connecticut and we love our Privets. During the summer months we
trim them monthly to keep them neat; it's the only formal aspect of the garden.
Our privet are currently about 10 foot tall and 2 and 1/2- 3 foot wide and
about 40 foot long. They don't spread from the ground, only in size as the
branches grow. They are high maintenance in their need to be trimmed though
they can be let to grow wild but I would think they would get large. They bloom
and actually have small berries. Ours are grown in together quite thick and
even give some privacy during the winter.... the sparrows roost in them over
the winter as well. Mountain laurels (Kalmia latifolia) are lovely but would
need and underplanting for true privacy.
Colleen
Connecticut