Old 05-03-2006, 11:21 AM posted to aus.gardens
loosecanon

Default beans

"tt" wrote in message
Hi, i live in perth, and we put in scarlet runner beans over this summer

but they havent given of the biggest crop of beans, so we're wondering, if
beans are a
winter vegetable to grow. does anyone know when the prime time for growing
runner beans is in perth?

thanks in advance

Hi Rightyouare,

Best time to plant beans in Perth is after the last frost. Usually this is
in August-September. I have always found that subsequent crops planted after
this date don't do as well. I guess because this is the hottest 3 months.
Although I have planted bean seeds on the 11 February 2006, 2 days before
the full moon. They are healthy and growing well. Hopefully I will enjoy a
good crop.

Throw the scarlett runners you only should grow Westralia Runner Beans these
are the tastiest beans here. I have another type of bean which produces a
black seed. This is a European type that I am told will grow well in the
colder months. So I will try that this year. Broad Beans will be good to
plant in March-April. They like the warmth followed by cold weather.

I always save my own seed and select what I think is the best. If you can't
find any see me as I'll swap them for something.

Have fun.

Richard
Nearly in Perth just 8km up the track