Old 05-03-2006, 10:21 AM posted to aus.gardens
tt

Default beans

Hi, i live in perth, and we put in scarlet runner beans over this summer

but they havent given of the biggest crop of beans, so we're wondering, if
beans are a
winter vegetable to grow. does anyone know when the prime time for growing
runner beans is in perth?

thanks in advance

Old 05-03-2006, 11:21 AM posted to aus.gardens
loosecanon

"tt" wrote in message
Hi, i live in perth, and we put in scarlet runner beans over this summer

but they havent given of the biggest crop of beans, so we're wondering, if
beans are a
winter vegetable to grow. does anyone know when the prime time for growing
runner beans is in perth?

thanks in advance

Hi Rightyouare,

Best time to plant beans in Perth is after the last frost. Usually this is
in August-September. I have always found that subsequent crops planted after
this date don't do as well. I guess because this is the hottest 3 months.
Although I have planted bean seeds on the 11 February 2006, 2 days before
the full moon. They are healthy and growing well. Hopefully I will enjoy a
good crop.

Throw the scarlett runners you only should grow Westralia Runner Beans these
are the tastiest beans here. I have another type of bean which produces a
black seed. This is a European type that I am told will grow well in the
colder months. So I will try that this year. Broad Beans will be good to
plant in March-April. They like the warmth followed by cold weather.

I always save my own seed and select what I think is the best. If you can't
find any see me as I'll swap them for something.

Have fun.

Richard
Nearly in Perth just 8km up the track

Old 05-03-2006, 12:20 PM posted to aus.gardens
Andrew Gabb

loosecanon wrote:
Best time to plant beans in Perth is after the last frost. Usually this is
in August-September. I have always found that subsequent crops planted after
this date don't do as well. I guess because this is the hottest 3 months.
Although I have planted bean seeds on the 11 February 2006, 2 days before
the full moon. They are healthy and growing well. Hopefully I will enjoy a
good crop.

For the last two years I've planted a second round of Pioneer dwarfs
in January in Adelaide, and this year's been hot and mostly dry.
I've had a good crop each time (picked the first today), although it
didn't last long. Planted them on 13/1 - never seen dwarf beans grow
so fast or so high.

BTW, here's a trick I accidentally found for myself. I got sick of
staking the beans, which is a bit messy when they're 10cm apart. So
I now fix a length of what's called 'traintrack' (5cm) from 3 stakes
about 25-30 cm off the ground, and train the growing beans through
the gap - no tying. Works a charm!

I think 'traintrack' is normally used for reinforcing brickwork, and
you get it from building suppliers (that's what they call it, too).
It consists of light galv struts, with connecting struts every so
often. The ones I get are about 3m long and come in various widths.
I've used wider sections as temporary trellising (for eg peas) for
years.

Andrew
--
Andrew Gabb
email: Adelaide, South Australia
Old 05-03-2006, 09:32 PM posted to aus.gardens
SG1

"Andrew Gabb" wrote in message
loosecanon wrote:
[...]

Thanks for that You may have saved this years crop of broad beans.
Jim

Old 06-03-2006, 08:45 AM posted to aus.gardens
David Hare-Scott

"tt" wrote in message
Hi, i live in perth, and we put in scarlet runner beans over this summer

but they havent given of the biggest crop of beans, so we're wondering, if
beans are a
winter vegetable to grow. does anyone know when the prime time for growing
runner beans is in perth?

thanks in advance

They are a warm season vege. In Perth plant in Spring and Summer to early
Autumn, successive plantings will give you a steady supply as each lot will
only produce for a limited time. Maybe you chose a poor cultivar or didn't
feed or water them well enough. If you are quick you can try again now
before the cooler weather.

David

Old 06-03-2006, 09:06 AM posted to aus.gardens
Marie Lawrence

Scarelet rummers do well in Melbourne, I grow them in shade and find beans
do not set in hot weather. As soon as there is a cool spell lots of beans
set. White 7 year beans are good too, pick the beans before they grow
large and tough. Marie

Old 06-03-2006, 09:09 AM posted to aus.gardens
Geoff & Heather

I live in Newcastle where it has been very hot this year - but maybe not as
warm at night as Perth - I have grown Diggers Club "Rattlesnake" beans right
through summer - into third crop now. I used to be a "Blue Lake" fan when I
lived in Upper Swan, but these things are awesome - so prolific, don't seem
to care about the baking sun - and best of all don't go tough if you forget
to pick them for a few days. They look neat as well - green with splashes
of purple.

I use 2.5m high sheets of concrete reinforcing mesh for my trellises - they
don't collapse and are strong enough that you can just rip the beans off
when they are finished.

Cheers,
Geoff

Old 11-03-2006, 06:41 AM posted to aus.gardens
Jonno

John Savage wrote:

"Marie Lawrence" writes:

Scarelet rummers do well in Melbourne, I grow them in shade and find beans
do not set in hot weather.

That's my experience too. Scarlet runners need to be watered morning and
evening in hot weather if you hope to have many set, otherwise the flowers
go to waste. Water the soil, not the leaves. I think they should be thought
of as a cool area climber. They are a perennial, coming up every year (for
nominally 7 years).

As soon as there is a cool spell lots of beans
set. White 7 year beans are good too, pick the beans before they grow
large and tough. Marie

The whites are hardier than the reds, and keep coming up year after year
more reliably. I'll mention here that the scarlet runners (aka 7 year beans)
produce a very large bean, and it is NOT stringless: it has string along
both edges. The plants are heavy producers, but so are the faster-bearing
Blue Lake and Blue Lake are stringless.

The green vegetable shield beetle has a strong attraction to the Scarlet
Runner/7 year beans, but doesn't seem to do much damage--just a few bumps
on the side of the bean.

We just eat the beans after podding.