Old 12-03-2003, 04:20 AM
Pam

Default Trees with DEEP roots...?

JNJ wrote:

I am looking for a few species of trees with deep roots -- the deeper, the
better. I want to ease some water issues we're having on our property,
mostly from water that is deeper in the ground than it is at the surface.
I'm considering Poplar & Alder -- already have a Willow & a Sycamore, and
I'm not entirely certain a Birch would work well.

What exactly is it you are trying to accomplish? Are you hoping the trees will
suck up excess water? They will take up only what they need - no more, no
less. How deep the roots penetrate is not really material. If you have soggy
ground, then yes, it does make sense to plant trees which are moisture lovers,
but don't expect them to achieve good drainage for you. They are simply not
programmed in that fashion.

pam - gardengal