Old 07-03-2006, 07:29 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default ** FUNGUS - Cyrtostachys renda **

Please take a look at the following picture (focus is not great):
http://www.consumergroup.com/renda.jpg

I have noticed some black spots on the crown shaft. Sometimes I think I
can remove them by carefully scratching them with my finger nail
although I really don't know if this is a normal feature of the
Cyrtostachys renda or if it is a type of fungus. I have been using a
topical / contact based fungicide a bit but not sure whether I need it
or if it is helping. If it is a fungus, maybe I need a stronger
systemic fungicide?

I am just not familiar with this plant and was wondering if anything
thinks this is the normal look of the crownshaft (ie. to have some
blace small spots on it). It is a relatively small plant (3-5 gallon).
Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

I am growing it in Palm Beach County, FL (zone 10) and I bring it in
any night that I think the temperature will drop to 65 degrees F or
lower.

Thanks,

-David