Old 09-03-2006, 05:48 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
Richard Sexton

Default Bonsai giant val

One of my favorite plants in "red marble val" also known
as "crystal red val" and "tiger val". It really is red and
tiger striped when fed and illuminatd properly.

It's also big. Very big. The last time I had it one
plant made 4' green leaves, Iended up giving it away.
Like Ihave a 4' tall tank toshow it off properly.

A few years ago I dabbles in Bonsai and killed many trees;
notwithstanding that, the theosy is keep the root mass
small and the leaves will be small. Can this be applied
to aquatic plants?

I think so. Last xmas or thereabouts I obtained 4
red marble val plants and stuck them in these small
square glass thingies sold as/for candles. Almsot
any Goodwill or Sally Ann has them for about a quarter.

It seems to work. I have a nice lush growth of these things
now, and none of the leaves are more than about 18" tall.

It's too early to say if they'll stay small, but we'll see.

1970 280SE, 72 280SE | Home page: http://rs79.vrx.net