Old 10-03-2006, 12:48 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Ken Weitzel

Default Does Grass seed go bad?

dyork wrote:
Does grass seed go bad? How long are you supposed to keep it? I have some
that I have had for 1 or 2 years and I'm cleaning out my building out back
and was wondering if I should throw it away.

Donna

Hi Donna...

Somewhat off the topic of your question, but a heads-up if I may...

Suggest you not store unused seed in any of your outbuildings, at
least not unless they're really really well sealed, and even then
empty of anything valuable...

Long time ago I bought tons of seed, the idea being to over-plant
the country type wild grass at the cottage. Needed to do something
to cut down on the mud everytime it rained. Intention was to
scatter it just before the snow flew, hoping at least some would
germinate in the spring.

Naturally I forgot, ended up storing it in the shed. Come spring
much to my dismay found that little critters had invaded, ripped open
the seed bags to eat the seed, and set up housekeeping. Ripped open
stuffed lawn furniture to build nests with, and left a terrible,
terrible mess!

So - unless you want mice, store it indoors. Or maybe put the
bags into harder plastic closed pails, or something

Take care.

Ken