Old 09-03-2006, 10:09 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
dyork

Default Does Grass seed go bad?

Does grass seed go bad? How long are you supposed to keep it? I have some
that I have had for 1 or 2 years and I'm cleaning out my building out back
and was wondering if I should throw it away.

Donna

Old 10-03-2006, 12:48 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Ken Weitzel

dyork wrote:
Does grass seed go bad? How long are you supposed to keep it? I have some
that I have had for 1 or 2 years and I'm cleaning out my building out back
and was wondering if I should throw it away.

Donna

Hi Donna...

Somewhat off the topic of your question, but a heads-up if I may...

Suggest you not store unused seed in any of your outbuildings, at
least not unless they're really really well sealed, and even then
empty of anything valuable...

Long time ago I bought tons of seed, the idea being to over-plant
the country type wild grass at the cottage. Needed to do something
to cut down on the mud everytime it rained. Intention was to
scatter it just before the snow flew, hoping at least some would
germinate in the spring.

Naturally I forgot, ended up storing it in the shed. Come spring
much to my dismay found that little critters had invaded, ripped open
the seed bags to eat the seed, and set up housekeeping. Ripped open
stuffed lawn furniture to build nests with, and left a terrible,
terrible mess!

So - unless you want mice, store it indoors. Or maybe put the
bags into harder plastic closed pails, or something

Take care.

Ken

Old 10-03-2006, 01:39 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Srgnt Billko

"Ken Weitzel" wrote in message

dyork wrote:
[...]

I stored mine in a garbage can out doors. No mice but I guess it must have
cooked cause I spread some last fall and not one seed sprouted.

Old 10-03-2006, 02:32 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Jonny

"dyork" wrote in message
m...
Does grass seed go bad? How long are you supposed to keep it? I have some
that I have had for 1 or 2 years and I'm cleaning out my building out back
and was wondering if I should throw it away.

Donna

Grass seed.... That covers alot of territory.

I've kept some unused 50 lb bag of winter rye in the garage in the original
container, it was never cold enough here in S. Texas to use this year.
Mostly dry and hot here, garage is very dry but usually cool. No critters
around.

Just bought some bermuda (sahara variety) and seeded alot of bare areas.
Used half the 15 lb. bag. Storing in same location in original container.

Think both will be alright for a few years or so for myself. Yourself?
Devil's in details. Which, of course, wasn't provided. Am not surprised.
--
Jonny

Old 10-03-2006, 10:06 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
George.com

"The Lawn and Landscape Guy" wrote in message
ups.com...
Donna:

Seed will eventually die. However, that does not mean that ALL of the
seed you have is dead. You can still use it, just know that you will
not get as many seeds to germinate as you would have if it was fresh.
If you are overseeding, just be prepared to make a second application
if the first one does not cover the area.

or if using it you may consider spreading it at a rate double that
recommended.

rob

Old 11-03-2006, 12:15 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

A lot depends on how it's stored. Leaving it in a garage, where it's
exposed to heat and humidity, is not a good place. It will last a lot
longre stored in a cool, dry place. I put mine in a closed garbage
can, with a container of the dessicant moisture absorbing stuff inside
and keep it in the basement.

The germination rate will decline slowly over time. I've stored it for
several years and gotten good results. If you have enough of it,
prior to using it, I would count out 50 seeds, plant them in a
container, and then count how many germinate. Then you can adjust how
much to put down.

Does grass seed go bad? dyork Lawns 1 11-03-2006 12:42 AM
Does Grass seed go bad? dyork Gardening 8 10-03-2006 09:45 PM