Old 10-03-2006, 01:35 PM posted to rec.gardens
Stephen Henning

Default Does Grass seed go bad?

Gary Groundhog wrote:

I was cleaning out my building out back and just wanted to know if I
could pitch it out (in the garbage).
Does grass seed go bad?

It depends on how it was stored, because it sort of has a half life.
The germination rate decreases with time. In cool locations the
germination rate is better. In hot locations it degrades faster. If
stored in a sealed plastic bag, in a cool place, it will last the
longest. If stored in the open in a hot humid environment, it won't
last very long. However, unless it molds or rots, probably some grains
will still germinate.

What I am saying, it it is best to dispose of it on places on your lawn
that need reseeding. It certainly can't hurt and may be viable. Seed
companies test lawn seed to see if it is still viable. For them,
something like a 90% germination rate is acceptable.

--
Pardon my spam deterrent; send email to
http://home.earthlink.net/~rhodyman