Old 09-03-2006, 10:13 PM posted to rec.gardens
dyork

Default Does Grass seed go bad?

I was cleaning out my building out back and just wanted to know if I could
pitch it out (in the garbage).
Does grass seed go bad?

Donna

Old 10-03-2006, 02:54 AM posted to rec.gardens
Snooze

"dyork" wrote in message
m...
I was cleaning out my building out back and just wanted to know if I could
pitch it out (in the garbage).
Does grass seed go bad?

If moisture built up in the bag, some of the seed could have rotted or
prematurely sprouted. Look on the bag itself, it should have an expiration
date on it. After the expiration date, the germination rate of the seeds
declines, but have them already, might as well use them up.

-S

Old 10-03-2006, 02:59 AM posted to rec.gardens
Phisherman

On Thu, 09 Mar 2006 22:13:35 GMT, "dyork"
wrote:

I was cleaning out my building out back and just wanted to know if I could
pitch it out (in the garbage).
Does grass seed go bad?

Donna

Place 10 seeds in folded damp paper towel. Keep it from drying out.
In 5-10 days you'll know the germination rate. A rate above 50% is
good.
Old 10-03-2006, 06:05 AM posted to rec.gardens
Gary Groundhog

"dyork" wrote in
m:

I was cleaning out my building out back and just wanted to know if I
could pitch it out (in the garbage).
Does grass seed go bad?

Donna

Grass seeds embeded in prehistoric Groundhog poop have been observed to
germinate. However, if your grass seeds are from the wrong side of the
tracks, yes they can go bad. I blame the parents.

Old 10-03-2006, 01:35 PM posted to rec.gardens
Stephen Henning

Gary Groundhog wrote:

I was cleaning out my building out back and just wanted to know if I
could pitch it out (in the garbage).
Does grass seed go bad?

It depends on how it was stored, because it sort of has a half life.
The germination rate decreases with time. In cool locations the
germination rate is better. In hot locations it degrades faster. If
stored in a sealed plastic bag, in a cool place, it will last the
longest. If stored in the open in a hot humid environment, it won't
last very long. However, unless it molds or rots, probably some grains
will still germinate.

What I am saying, it it is best to dispose of it on places on your lawn
that need reseeding. It certainly can't hurt and may be viable. Seed
companies test lawn seed to see if it is still viable. For them,
something like a 90% germination rate is acceptable.

--
Pardon my spam deterrent; send email to
http://home.earthlink.net/~rhodyman
Old 10-03-2006, 02:11 PM posted to rec.gardens

wet a paper towel, place 20-30 grass seeds in a row. roll towel, put in plastic bag
and stick on top of frig. or other warm place. come back in a few days open and see
how many sprouted. germination tests are generally done to see if seeds are viable.
otherwise isnt worth it to try to use it to seed.
Ingrid

"dyork" wrote:

I was cleaning out my building out back and just wanted to know if I could
pitch it out (in the garbage).
Does grass seed go bad?

Donna

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List at
http://weloveteaching.com/puregold/
www.drsolo.com
I receive no money, gifts, discounts or other
compensation for all the damn work I do, nor for
any of the recommendations I make.
AND I DID NOT AUTHORIZE ADS AT THE OLD PUREGOLD SITE
Old 10-03-2006, 06:27 PM posted to rec.gardens
Warren

Stephen Henning wrote:
What I am saying, it it is best to dispose of it on places on your lawn
that need reseeding. It certainly can't hurt and may be viable.

Exactly. If you don't see enough sprouts in a week, go and get some fresh
seed if you want. It's not like the non-viable seed will be fighting any
fresh seed for food.

What else would you do with the seed, even if it wasn't viable? Throw it in
the garbage so it can go to a landfill? Put it in your compost pile, and
risk that there are just enough viable seeds left to cause problems? Flush
it down the toilet?

There no harm in putting non-viable grass seed on the lawn (assuming it's
the seed for grasses that you want on your lawn). The worst that will happen
is you'll put off buying fresh seed for a week. The best that can happen is
it'll turn-out to be viable seed. Just don't judge the brand of seed based
on what will probably lower than normal germination rates.

--
Warren H.

to go outside now.

Power Lawncare Tools for Spring Clean-up:
http://www.holzemville.com/mall/blackanddecker/

[IMG] code is On

Does Grass seed go bad? dyork Lawns 5 11-03-2006 12:15 PM
Does grass seed go bad? dyork Lawns 1 11-03-2006 12:42 AM