Old 10-03-2006, 06:27 PM posted to rec.gardens
Warren

Default Does Grass seed go bad?

Stephen Henning wrote:
What I am saying, it it is best to dispose of it on places on your lawn
that need reseeding. It certainly can't hurt and may be viable.

Exactly. If you don't see enough sprouts in a week, go and get some fresh
seed if you want. It's not like the non-viable seed will be fighting any
fresh seed for food.

What else would you do with the seed, even if it wasn't viable? Throw it in
the garbage so it can go to a landfill? Put it in your compost pile, and
risk that there are just enough viable seeds left to cause problems? Flush
it down the toilet?

There no harm in putting non-viable grass seed on the lawn (assuming it's
the seed for grasses that you want on your lawn). The worst that will happen
is you'll put off buying fresh seed for a week. The best that can happen is
it'll turn-out to be viable seed. Just don't judge the brand of seed based
on what will probably lower than normal germination rates.

--
Warren H.

to go outside now.

Power Lawncare Tools for Spring Clean-up:
http://www.holzemville.com/mall/blackanddecker/