Old 10-03-2006, 02:17 PM posted to rec.ponds

Default Comet tails

long finnage is susceptible to colder temps.... and parasites. you might want to add
some salt to the water. spring is hard on fish, lots of cooties wake up before the
immune systems of the fish does. that being said, my koi are heated most of the
winter but they show up with white dots, etc. that goes away as the water warms.
other than salt, I add nothing to the water and they been good. Ingrid

"humBill" wrote:

Hi all
Here in Austin we have had a particularly mild winter. Nonetheless the fish
have not be active and I have not been feeding them for about three months.
They have pretty much been out of sight hunkering down under a bunch of
anacharis I have been letting grow, as possible protecting from an
occasional Heron visit. Now that I have begun feeding again and they are out
and active I am noticing a problem. Some tails on the comets who have the
longest tails seems to be splitting somewhat. My first thought is fin rot,
but I don't see any loss yet and the water parameters are perfect. It is
only the ones with very long, flowing finnage. While not as extreme it is
vaguely reminiscent of how a flag sometimes shreds on the back end from
whipping in the wind, except the splits are not as numerous and are longer
(1"-1 1/2").

Any thoughts on what may be causing this? Is it a concern? What remedies
might I try. I thought about adding some Mela Fix but I don't want to waste
money needlessly.

Thanxx
Bill Brister - Austin, Texas

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List at
http://weloveteaching.com/puregold/
www.drsolo.com
I receive no money, gifts, discounts or other
compensation for all the damn work I do, nor for
any of the recommendations I make.
AND I DID NOT AUTHORIZE ADS AT THE OLD PUREGOLD SITE