Old 10-03-2006, 02:17 PM posted to rec.ponds

Default Comet tails

long finnage is susceptible to colder temps.... and parasites. you might want to add
some salt to the water. spring is hard on fish, lots of cooties wake up before the
immune systems of the fish does. that being said, my koi are heated most of the
winter but they show up with white dots, etc. that goes away as the water warms.
other than salt, I add nothing to the water and they been good. Ingrid

"humBill" wrote:

Hi all
Here in Austin we have had a particularly mild winter. Nonetheless the fish
have not be active and I have not been feeding them for about three months.
They have pretty much been out of sight hunkering down under a bunch of
anacharis I have been letting grow, as possible protecting from an
occasional Heron visit. Now that I have begun feeding again and they are out
and active I am noticing a problem. Some tails on the comets who have the
longest tails seems to be splitting somewhat. My first thought is fin rot,
but I don't see any loss yet and the water parameters are perfect. It is
only the ones with very long, flowing finnage. While not as extreme it is
vaguely reminiscent of how a flag sometimes shreds on the back end from
whipping in the wind, except the splits are not as numerous and are longer
(1"-1 1/2").

Any thoughts on what may be causing this? Is it a concern? What remedies
might I try. I thought about adding some Mela Fix but I don't want to waste
money needlessly.

Thanxx
Bill Brister - Austin, Texas

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List at
http://weloveteaching.com/puregold/
www.drsolo.com
I receive no money, gifts, discounts or other
compensation for all the damn work I do, nor for
any of the recommendations I make.
AND I DID NOT AUTHORIZE ADS AT THE OLD PUREGOLD SITE
Old 10-03-2006, 10:24 PM posted to rec.ponds
Richard Sexton

Followups directed to alt.flame where they belong.

In article ,
wrote:
www.drsolo.com
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~
I receive no money, gifts, discounts or other
compensation for all the damn work I do, nor for
any of the recommendations I make.

Translation: I have a day job and I don't expect to be paid
for the free services I provide on a hobby basis that I rely
on soebody else in a prefional capacity for.

How nice for you. I have a day job. It's running your stuff for free.

AND I DID NOT AUTHORIZE ADS AT THE OLD PUREGOLD SITE

No, you didn't, nor did you pay for me runing the puregold site
for some number of years. I don't really know how many all I know is
there are 47 ticks in the "# of time Inrgid called sking when purgold
would be back up.

Yes, you paid for a domain name, aquaria.net, but at the time you
were the only one using it. And you didn't pay me, you paid Network
Solutions directly for that.

Thank you for all the letters of support, and a hearfelt "bite me"
to people that complained about the lack of a free service.

And please stop blaming me in that tagline of yours. It's just rude.
Personal attacks on usenet, whether direct or inidirect, are just as
bad as spamming or trolling; of cours this is in every usenet newbie FAQ
which I assume you've either not read or care not to follow.

1970 280SE, 72 280SE | Home page: http://rs79.vrx.net
Old 11-03-2006, 02:44 PM posted to rec.ponds

Richard, my tag line is NOT directed at you.
you have only lately dropped into this list. But on this and the GF newsgroup,
there were a couple individuals who accused me of being a shill or a partner with
people who sell fish and/or equipment, and basically giving advice to "make a sale".
One of those people was the one who has nearly destroyed this newsgroup and those
that did destroy the original GF list.

So my tag line predates your selling advertising on the site ... all except the "I
did not authorize ads"

I am not denying you have the right to do anything you want with your sites, but I
was never informed that it was going to happen to Puregold and I had no CHOICE in the
matter before the ads were just "there". Those ads made ME look like a liar.

I never knew how much it cost to run the list. You never told me, and it sure is not
my area of expertise. But Puregold was not the only list in aquaria, there is at
least killifish. And when your equipment was crashing I asked people on Puregold to
send you money thru a paypal account. I know I certainly did. I would think people
on puregold would have sent you money, they are a generous lot, I am sure some of the
200-300 people would have sent something.

Apparently those ads are still bringing in some money for you cause I see the mostly
empty sites are still up with ads on each and every page.

My tag line DOES NOT identify you, it has nothing to do with you. It is a simple
statement that I did not place or authorize the ads at the old site .... which I
didnt. It isnt a flame to state the truth that I am not making any money from those
advertisers. And I am certainly not saying you dont have every right to make money
from advertisers at the sites that you run.
Ingrid

(Richard Sexton) wrote:

[...]

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List at
Old 11-03-2006, 06:49 PM posted to rec.ponds
Richard Sexton

In article ,
wrote:
I never knew how much it cost to run the list. You never told me, and it sure is not
my area of expertise. But Puregold was not the only list in aquaria, there is at
least killifish. And when your equipment was crashing I asked people on Puregold to
send you money thru a paypal account. I know I certainly did. I would think people
on puregold would have sent you money, they are a generous lot, I am sure some of the
200-300 people would have sent something.

Uh, no. Not a cent.

The machines were perpetually down because some idiot claimg to be
a computer person made a abit of stealing the servers and destroying
files and backups. Ironically his job was to free up mu time to
provide software and web content. Instead I spent 3 years restoring
things from my personal backups I kept "just in case". He was dumped
last october, I have new machines, less time, but not a second of
downtime since incept.

--
My only working email address is on my home page
1970 280SE, 72 280SE | Home page: http://rs79.vrx.net

mares tails g60dph United Kingdom 1 01-06-2006 11:38 AM
Slugs and snails (but not puppy dogs' tails) Dimple United Kingdom 7 22-05-2006 01:38 PM
Cat tails Moontanman Plant Biology 8 24-04-2004 11:07 PM
Comet-Mouth Problem Szpond Ponds 7 15-10-2003 03:02 PM
Cat tails question Roy Hauer Gardening 9 11-08-2003 10:32 AM