Old 12-03-2006, 02:06 AM posted to rec.gardens
Doug

Default Getting avocado trees to produce fruit?

Owlman wrote:
Twenty plus years ago we tried raising an avocado tree in our yard in
Southern California. The first attempted failed due to sun damage to
the plant; the second plant never produced fruit.

Plant a type A and a type B

There are two flowering types, referred to as "A" and "B" flower types.
"A" varieties open as female on the morning of the first day. The flower
closes in late morning or early afternoon. The flower will remain closed
until the afternoon of the second day when it opens as male. "B"
varieties open as female on the afternoon of the first day, close in
late afternoon and re-open in the male phase the following morning.

"A" Varieties include
Hass, Gwen, Lamb Hass, Pinkerton, Reed, GEM, Harvest
"B" Varieties include
Bacon, Ettinger, Fuerte, Sharwil

http://ucavo.ucr.edu/avocadowebsite%...ingBasics.html

I put 3 trees in one hole a couple of years ago and am patiently waiting .

Doug