Old 12-03-2006, 06:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha

Default Inspiration please - round bed

On 12/3/06 18:12, in article , "EN"
wrote:

Good snowy afternoon

I wonder if anyone could come up with some creative ideas for anything we
could do with a round bed in the middle of the lawn. It's about 2 metres
across, raised about 2 brick height (though it's actually surrounded by dry
stones). In previous years I've stuck a shrub in the middle with various
odd things around but nothing seems to quite work - or even survive!. The
main problem I think, is that it's in a part of the garden that's about
1000ft above sea level, very exposed to wind and sun from every direction,
Pennines. And a long way from the water supply so it gets very dry in the
summer.

I've dug in some nice new soil taken from somewhere else, and a big bag of
rotted cow manure, and - well, now what? We did think of just getting rid
of it and seeding over, but it's potentially a nice little feature next to a
footpath that goes through that part of the garden, and could look nice for
ramblers. There are a few old bulbs, probably daffs, struggling through but
that's all.

If you made it into a pond, would it be very difficult to top up with a
hosepipe? Failing that, how about a bench seat and a collection of
interesting stones, to be topped up by everyone rambling past. Sort of a
'start your own cairn' thing? If you have money to spare, I'd install
something by Joe Smith - I love his work which is one of those shown here,
the slate urn:
http://tinyurl.com/s4esu
--
Sacha