Old 13-03-2006, 02:33 AM posted to rec.ponds
NetMax

Default Mosquito temps?

"netDenizen" wrote in message
NetMax wrote:
A little OT, but we get dragonflies about a week after the mosquitoes
start, and they basically keep the mosquitoes down for the entire
season. I wonder if dragonfly larvae is something which could be
purchased to go into a pond (or sump or side pond for critters). I
could see golf courses keeping up a good demand for it, so it might be
a commercial product.

The old Innes aquarium fish book has a picture of a dragonfly larva
chomping on a guppy sized aquarium fish. Quite predatory.

Absolutely, wouldn't that be a bonus? When Koi spawn, there isn't
exactly a shortage of fry ;~). The larvae will steal a few meals from
the adults, and become meals themselves if the dragonflies, adults and
fry are all in the same system.
--
www.NetMax.tk