Old 12-03-2006, 09:04 PM posted to rec.ponds
Bill Stock

Default Mosquito temps?

Does anyone know the temp (water/air) at which Mosquitoes can breed? I
brought the fish indoors this year, and I l will likely transfer the
plants/fish outside at the same time. This means the fish will be going out
later than the skeeters will start. My pond pump is otherwise occupied, so
I'm considering a new pump/fountain to keep the Mosquitoes at bay until the
fish go out.

Old 12-03-2006, 10:15 PM posted to rec.ponds
G Pearce

Hi Bill - I don't know where you are, I'm in SW Ont and the mosquitoes
aren't a problem here until ~ July - any fish I want to put in are in by
then - my Lotus pots (up on the deck)only get the eggs from spawning in the
pond to control them and the fry are really small until then and they take
care of all the mosquito larvae in the still water of the Lotus pots
Just my experience :~ Gale :~)

Old 12-03-2006, 11:07 PM posted to rec.ponds
NetMax

A little OT, but we get dragonflies about a week after the mosquitoes
start, and they basically keep the mosquitoes down for the entire season.
I wonder if dragonfly larvae is something which could be purchased to go
into a pond (or sump or side pond for critters). I could see golf
courses keeping up a good demand for it, so it might be a commercial
product.
--
www.NetMax.tk

Old 13-03-2006, 12:08 AM posted to rec.ponds
Bill Stock

"G Pearce" wrote in message
Hi Bill - I don't know where you are, I'm in SW Ont and the mosquitoes
aren't a problem here until ~ July - any fish I want to put in are in by
then - my Lotus pots (up on the deck)only get the eggs from spawning in
the pond to control them and the fry are really small until then and they
take care of all the mosquito larvae in the still water of the Lotus pots
Just my experience :~ Gale :~)

Thanks,

I guess I'm just looking for an excuse to buy a new pond pump. I'm in
Southern Ontario, so the plants/fish will likely be going out some time in
May.

Old 13-03-2006, 02:33 AM posted to rec.ponds
NetMax

"netDenizen" wrote in message
NetMax wrote:
A little OT, but we get dragonflies about a week after the mosquitoes
start, and they basically keep the mosquitoes down for the entire
season. I wonder if dragonfly larvae is something which could be
purchased to go into a pond (or sump or side pond for critters). I
could see golf courses keeping up a good demand for it, so it might be
a commercial product.

The old Innes aquarium fish book has a picture of a dragonfly larva
chomping on a guppy sized aquarium fish. Quite predatory.

Absolutely, wouldn't that be a bonus? When Koi spawn, there isn't
exactly a shortage of fry ;~). The larvae will steal a few meals from
the adults, and become meals themselves if the dragonflies, adults and
fry are all in the same system.
--
www.NetMax.tk

Old 13-03-2006, 03:14 PM posted to rec.ponds
Derek Broughton

Bill Stock wrote:

Does anyone know the temp (water/air) at which Mosquitoes can breed? I
brought the fish indoors this year, and I l will likely transfer the
plants/fish outside at the same time. This means the fish will be going
out later than the skeeters will start. My pond pump is otherwise
occupied, so I'm considering a new pump/fountain to keep the Mosquitoes at
bay until the fish go out.

It's _extremely_ variable. There's a huge number of kinds of mosquito (not
all of which will dine on people), that breed in all sorts of conditions.
I would say that as long as you have liquid water, you'll probably have
mosquitos, but I don't think many of those that breed in cooler weather are
biters.
--
derek

Best Mosquito and Bug Killer? Mosquito Magnet? Spray? Net? [email protected] Gardening 5 28-05-2008 07:24 AM
winter temps agnatha3141 Orchids 5 01-12-2003 08:02 PM
Mosquito Deleto vs. Mosquito Magnet MarkG Gardening 1 10-06-2003 10:20 AM
Are cool house temps hurting my houseplants? The Wobulator Gardening 3 13-03-2003 01:44 AM
Propagator veg min temps ? Paul England United Kingdom 7 10-02-2003 07:20 PM