Old 13-03-2006, 07:37 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Penelope Periwinkle

Default DDT or NO DDT?

On Sun, 12 Mar 2006 16:00:13 -0800, (Glenna Rose)
wrote:

I'm still wondering why there is not more widespread use of products such
as mosquito dunks, they work and work very well. It seems to be a more
effective method than spraying chemicals. I take special pleasure in
placing them in my fish pond knowing the mosquitoes will come, lay their
eggs, and end that lineage. How would the cost of providing such
substances compare with the cost of DDT and other sprays? Seems killing
the larvae is the key as they never get into the air to bite and breed.

There must be a practical way to provide similar product (grains instead
of dunks?) and spread/apply it. There is no harm to any creature or plant
other than mosquito larvae.

This is a sincere question. Why isn't that practice being used?

My swag is money and logistics. How much Bt subspecies israaelenses
would it take to treat a lake? How do you treat a river and not have
it wash away? How do you get it into all those tiny puddles and bits
of standing water that aren't obvious?

And, with the constant political disruptions and civil wars that seem
to sweep across Africa, how would you establish the 5 or 10 year
program that it would take to eradicate the disease?

It's a good idea, if the dunks could be put in the hands of folks that
need them. But...shrug

Penelope

"ElissaAnn"