Old 14-03-2006, 12:03 AM posted to aus.gardens
John Savage

Default Good plants for a trellis?

"slugbug" writes:
I am wondering if anyone out there has any suggestions for vegetables
that do a good job of climbing and hanging on to trellises. I have 3
separate sections of trellis:

Are you in Australia? (aus=Australia)

But no matter, my suggestion is first a choko (it does okay in partial
shade, and the fruit can be picked and cooked at any stage, you don't
have to wait for it to reach a mature size); and second a Chinese
gooseberry (aka a Kiwi Fruit). The gooseberry is a vigorous twining vine,
like a wisteria. It's deciduous, but probably needs at least half a day
of full sun during the growing season. I think you need both a male and a
female if you hope to get fruit. It probably takes at least a year to get
moving after you plant it, even as an advanced vine.

The only drawback with the choko is that its abundance of blooms brings
an abundance of bees, and you might not wish this if there are kids
playing alongside the vine.