Old 14-03-2006, 11:56 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
Bill Stock

Default How big are your stems (Amazon Swords)

"Koi-Lo" wrote in message
Moments before spontaneously combusting Bill Stock at
was heard opining:

My Amazon Sword (Rose) seems to be going all to stems. There must be
at least eight inches between the substrate and the start of the
leaves. There's not much in the way of new leaves, just the beanstalk
syndrome. At this rate the fish will be climbing out of the basement.

Mine also have long stems but then a nice leaf at the end. They're more
upright than I'd like them to be but that's the variety I have. The young
plants on the end of the the runners, when planted in the gravel, have
shorter stalks.

Yeah, mine have huge leaves too, practically touching the soil after
reaching the top of the tank.

Could someone please tell me if this is natural or does it represent
some kind of nutrient imbalance? AFAIK all the nutrients/lighting are
fine.

Then that's just the way they grow or could it possibly be too much
nitrogen or not enough light? I know I can't fit any more shoplights over
my 55s.
--

If anything my Nitrates are a little low.

It's just a shame to toss these monsters, but I don't see an alternative.

Koi-Lo.... frugal ponding since 1995...
Aquariums since 1952
My Pond & Aquarium Pages:
http://tinyurl.com/9do58