Old 14-03-2006, 08:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Joan Riley

Default Begonias

On Mon, 13 Mar 2006 15:21:02 +0000 (UTC), "Alan"
wrote:

Ok I'll just have a go - some forum eh!
"Alan" wrote in message
I read that I should start begonias off in a shallow tray - how shallow and
how deep should i put them. I want to have cascading onesin the hanging
baskets this year. Anyone give me some tips please?

I think you're supposed to put them into the compost with the cup side
uppermost, making a depression in the compost with your fingers and
just gently pressing them into the compost so the sides and underneath
are buried, but the 'rim' and 'cup' of the corm are still visible.
I'm even less sure about the depth but I'd say 3 or 4 inches of soil
below the corm would be enough for the roots to get going, as they're
going to be transplanted later.

Anyone else know?

Joan in Ayrshire
remove 'spam' from email to reply