Old 03-03-2006, 08:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Alan

Default Begonias

I read that I should start begonias off in a shallow tray - how shallow and
how deep should i put them. I want to have cascading onesin the hanging
baskets this year. Anyone give me some tips please?

Old 13-03-2006, 03:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Alan

Ok I'll just have a go - some forum eh!

Old 14-03-2006, 08:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Joan Riley

"Alan" wrote in message
I read that I should start begonias off in a shallow tray - how shallow and
how deep should i put them. I want to have cascading onesin the hanging
baskets this year. Anyone give me some tips please?

I think you're supposed to put them into the compost with the cup side
uppermost, making a depression in the compost with your fingers and
just gently pressing them into the compost so the sides and underneath
are buried, but the 'rim' and 'cup' of the corm are still visible.
I'm even less sure about the depth but I'd say 3 or 4 inches of soil
below the corm would be enough for the roots to get going, as they're
going to be transplanted later.

Anyone else know?

Joan in Ayrshire
remove 'spam' from email to reply
Old 14-03-2006, 10:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha

On 3/3/06 8:41 pm, in article
, "Alan"
wrote:

I read that I should start begonias off in a shallow tray - how shallow and
how deep should i put them. I want to have cascading onesin the hanging
baskets this year. Anyone give me some tips please?

If you mean begonia seed, then yes, a shallow seed tray is what you need.
Pot the seedlings on and then plant them into your hanging baskets but they
possibly/probably won't mature quickly enough to do all that you want this
year. However, if you do plant them in this way, let them mature, cut them
right back in winter and keep them in a light, frost free place, you'll have
what you want next year. BUT, if you want trailing begonias this year,
start with corms or young plants from your local nursery, keep them frost
free now and plant them straight into your hanging basket. To keep them
through next winter, employ the method I've described above. You will of
course, have ensured that you've bought trailing begonias..... ;-))
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Tuberless Begonias Fleemo Gardening 1 04-12-2003 10:02 PM
Something in my yard loves begonias.. William McHarg Gardening 0 14-04-2003 03:08 AM
begonias Sabaa Mundia Gardening 0 14-04-2003 12:56 AM
growing begonias miklol United Kingdom 2 22-01-2003 07:58 PM
Begonias Chunky United Kingdom 0 28-09-2002 07:42 PM