Old 14-03-2006, 10:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha

Default Begonias

On 3/3/06 8:41 pm, in article
, "Alan"
wrote:

I read that I should start begonias off in a shallow tray - how shallow and
how deep should i put them. I want to have cascading onesin the hanging
baskets this year. Anyone give me some tips please?

If you mean begonia seed, then yes, a shallow seed tray is what you need.
Pot the seedlings on and then plant them into your hanging baskets but they
possibly/probably won't mature quickly enough to do all that you want this
year. However, if you do plant them in this way, let them mature, cut them
right back in winter and keep them in a light, frost free place, you'll have
what you want next year. BUT, if you want trailing begonias this year,
start with corms or young plants from your local nursery, keep them frost
free now and plant them straight into your hanging basket. To keep them
through next winter, employ the method I've described above. You will of
course, have ensured that you've bought trailing begonias..... ;-))
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk