Old 12-03-2003, 05:20 PM
Henry Ward

Default Roses where other roses have been

at
http://www.pesticides.gov.uk/farmers...es.htm#amateur
or http://tinyurl.com/7bf5. You will find though that both Jeyes
Fluid and Roseclear are also on the list!

Thanks for the above. The list of common names there is shocking.

The next question is why are they being banned? None of us drink
the stuff so the implication is that we have been using a dangerous chemical
injurious to human health or that they cause a dangerous build-up in the
environment. This of course must be nonsense or they would withdraw them
from sale immediately and have a campaign to warn people to destroy existing
stocks.
So, do they know they are bad or just think they might be bad?
The relevant information provided on the web site is, "These active
substances are being withdrawn because they have not been supported by
industry in stages 2 and 3 of the review."
No statements here that they are dangerous. I interpret this as
they just think they might be bad and if the producer does not contest this
then they will be banned. All of which raises more questions than answers.