Old 12-03-2003, 06:32 PM
simy1

Default Trees with DEEP roots...?

"JNJ" wrote in message ...
I am looking for a few species of trees with deep roots -- the deeper, the
better. I want to ease some water issues we're having on our property,
mostly from water that is deeper in the ground than it is at the surface.
I'm considering Poplar & Alder -- already have a Willow & a Sycamore, and
I'm not entirely certain a Birch would work well.

Any other suggestions?

James
Zone 6, SW Ohio

Trees with taproots reach farther down than any other tree. Any tree
growing on the sunny side of hills in your region will probably be a
good choice. Oaks, some hickories and especially chestnut trees are
known to be immune to drought, though I have to say that my (40-50
years old) hickories did show signs of stress last summer (my 6-years
old chestnuts, and both red oaks, one 60+ years old, the other 15years
old, did not). Keep in mind that these trees can not, typically, be
transplanted. You put them in their final place. They will also want
good drainage, so don't put them next to the willow. Chestnut are
magnificent trees, and oaks are not too shabby. Hickories are so-so.