Old 12-03-2003, 08:02 PM

Default What can I do with heavy water logged soil?

The garden I left had soil like that. I tried to fight it, and dug
vast amounts of soil, sand and organic matter in, but with hindsight I
would say work with it, even it it does mean a bog garden. One thing
I did find though was that having someting - anything - in the soil -
helped. mine lay domant for a short while and became a nightmare.I I
presume that plants draw water from the soil, which may be a small
effect, but is better than nothing. I bought the damp garden book
mentioned, and it lookd good, but then moved before having a chance to
sort anything out.

Sam

On Sun, 9 Mar 2003 11:02:11 +0000, Jane Ransom
wrote:

In article , KW
writes
I have a lower garden area of about 1/4 hectare. I have only just reclaimed
it from the wild. It is very waterlogged, and the soil is heavy.

If it can't be drained, either turn it into a bog garden or make raised
beds.