Old 16-03-2006, 11:32 AM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
Mr. Gardener

Default Anacharis growth

On Thu, 16 Mar 2006 03:34:13 +0000 (UTC),
(Richard Sexton) wrote:

In article .com,
wrote:
Similar to another post, my anacharis is growing very very fast but
isn't very leafy. I have to cut the stalks back once a week as they
curl over when they hit the surface. The leaves are all very small
though. I like the look of thick dense anacharis, not the long stalky
look. My tank is a 10g with 15w of light with DIY CO2. I use a multi
purpose fert, I think by tetra. Can a different way of pruning help the
leaves grow?

No. Change to a bluer bulb, that should do it. Red - elongate tall
plants, with lomng internodes, blue - compacy bushy growth.

I've learned that from raising seedlings under lights for my outdoor
gardens. When my seedlings are under cheap cold blue lights, the plant
grows short and bushy. Under lights with more red, especially "plant"
lights, the seedlings grow taller, would go all the way to flower if I
let them. Short and bushy being my goal for garden transplants, I
stick with 99 cent blue shop lights.

-- Mister Gardener