Old 17-03-2006, 04:41 AM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
Richard Sexton

Default Anacharis growth

In article . com,
wrote:
I went down to the LFS to pick up a more blue light. I guess I forgot
how expensive anything that says 'aquarium' is on it compared to
similar products for other uses. I tried the home depot but don't know
enough about color temperature, lux, lumens etc. to tell what is more
blue vs. full spectrum vs. actinic. I did a google but have so far
found either to simple of an explanation in regards to aquarium use or
technical definitions that I can't relate to the GE (or other bulb
brands) labels. Any advice direction reccomendations or ideas are
always welcome.

I never buy tubes at a petshop. The prices have one too many zeros.

Here's some commonly available bluish light.

First of all "Dayliht" tubes are about the cheapest source of
blue. The'll have the suffix "D" as in F12T40D.

Ge makes a Chroma-50 (neutral 5000K - white) and a Chroma 75 (7500)
they're labeled C50 and C75. The latter are hard to find, the former
common although they're merketed as "Super sunshine" or something
like that.

Off the top of my head, Philips Alto makes a bluish bulb. Basically
anything that says sunlight, daylight or super daylight will work.
There's actually a few but what you can find may vary.

1970 280SE, 72 280SE | Home pages: http://rs79.vrx.net