Old 17-03-2006, 06:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Chris Hogg

Default Strelitzia - Birds of paradise

On Thu, 16 Mar 2006 08:25:47 +0000 (UTC), jane
wrote:
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Ind...Index/Therm_1/

They're all over the SE and have delivery areas too, if you don't want
to track one down. I drove to Slough as their area only went as far as
Amersham and I'm a couple of miles further on...

The trick is to set it to what you want (bearing in mind it's sensing
the temperature at the level of the socket which in my case is
floor-level!) and see what reading an independent max/min thermometer
gives you at the level of your plants. Then tweak the setting as
necessary.

It also means you can set your electric heater to full blast on, at
full thermostat, and so when you need extra heat eg when you just
opened the door from the outside, it reheats the room very quickly and
then is switched off by the plug. I suspect it's less of a fire risk
than one that's on all the time and being badly controlled by its own
analogue thermostat.

jane

Many thanks for that. I'm not happy with the built-in thermostat on my
g/h heater even after 'modification', and potentially this looks a
great improvement.

--
Chris