Old 19-03-2006, 12:09 AM posted to rec.gardens
Bill R

Default Growing Tomatoes Upside Down

vivian wrote:
Has anyone here tried this with either the Topsy-Turvy I or II tomato
planter systems?

I live in an upstairs apartment and have no access to a ground-based
garden, but thought I might be able to hang these outside my window.

viv

I haven't use the Topsy-Turvy system (at $16.95 each they are too
expensive) but I have grown several varieties in pouches that result in
the same upside down growth. A set of two pouches sells for $5.95 and
they are sold by places like Park's Seeds, http://www.parkseed.com

It is best to use determinate varieties of tomatoes if you plan on
growing them that way. In case you don't know, determinate varieties
only grow to specific heights and I have found that when growing them
upside down it is best to use the shorter determinate varieties. Many
of the very short "patio variety" ones do very well growing from pouches
and you can put three or four in one pouch and you won't believe the
yield that you will get from just a few plants.

Pouches are also very good for growing flowers if you have limited
space. The cascading varieties of petunias do fantastic in pouches and
they will easily grow to four (or more) feet if you feed them regularly.
--
Bill R. (Ohio Valley, U.S.A)

Gardening Since 1969