Old 18-03-2006, 09:43 PM posted to rec.gardens
vivian

Default Growing Tomatoes Upside Down

Has anyone here tried this with either the Topsy-Turvy I or II tomato
planter systems?

I live in an upstairs apartment and have no access to a ground-based
garden, but thought I might be able to hang these outside my window.

viv
Old 19-03-2006, 12:09 AM posted to rec.gardens
Bill R

vivian wrote:
Has anyone here tried this with either the Topsy-Turvy I or II tomato
planter systems?

I live in an upstairs apartment and have no access to a ground-based
garden, but thought I might be able to hang these outside my window.

viv

I haven't use the Topsy-Turvy system (at $16.95 each they are too
expensive) but I have grown several varieties in pouches that result in
the same upside down growth. A set of two pouches sells for $5.95 and
they are sold by places like Park's Seeds, http://www.parkseed.com

It is best to use determinate varieties of tomatoes if you plan on
growing them that way. In case you don't know, determinate varieties
only grow to specific heights and I have found that when growing them
upside down it is best to use the shorter determinate varieties. Many
of the very short "patio variety" ones do very well growing from pouches
and you can put three or four in one pouch and you won't believe the
yield that you will get from just a few plants.

Pouches are also very good for growing flowers if you have limited
space. The cascading varieties of petunias do fantastic in pouches and
they will easily grow to four (or more) feet if you feed them regularly.
--
Bill R. (Ohio Valley, U.S.A)

Gardening Since 1969

Old 20-03-2006, 12:18 PM posted to rec.gardens
Jim Elbrecht

vivian wrote:

Has anyone here tried this with either the Topsy-Turvy I or II tomato
planter systems?

Also- Could anyone comment on *why* upside-down? Why not just a
container?

I know 3 people who grow container tomatoes upside down. None can
answer why it is a better system than standard containers. [one has 5
acres of lawn and probably a quarter acre of flower beds- yet he grows
these 2 scrawny tomato plants upside down for the past 3 years. Is it
just the novelty that draws people to make their tomatoes hang
un-naturaly?]

Jim

Old 20-03-2006, 03:44 PM posted to rec.gardens
Devonshire

On the day of Mon, 20 Mar 2006 07:18:28 -0500...
Jim Elbrecht
typed these letters:

vivian wrote:

Has anyone here tried this with either the Topsy-Turvy I or II tomato
planter systems?

Also- Could anyone comment on *why* upside-down? Why not just a
container?

I know 3 people who grow container tomatoes upside down. None can
answer why it is a better system than standard containers. [one has 5
acres of lawn and probably a quarter acre of flower beds- yet he grows
these 2 scrawny tomato plants upside down for the past 3 years. Is it
just the novelty that draws people to make their tomatoes hang
un-naturaly?]

Jim

The answer has to be novelty. Otherwise it's just unnatural. If one
has enough space to grow tomatoes in a container upside down. One
has enough space to grow them right side up in a container. The
upside down tomato concept makes no sense to me... Then again
a lot of things in the world make no sense to me.

Devonshire