Old 20-03-2006, 01:17 PM posted to rec.gardens
Cheryl Isaak

Default Growing Tomatoes Upside Down

On 3/20/06 7:18 AM, in article ,
"Jim Elbrecht" wrote:

vivian wrote:

Has anyone here tried this with either the Topsy-Turvy I or II tomato
planter systems?

Also- Could anyone comment on *why* upside-down? Why not just a
container?

I know 3 people who grow container tomatoes upside down. None can
answer why it is a better system than standard containers. [one has 5
acres of lawn and probably a quarter acre of flower beds- yet he grows
these 2 scrawny tomato plants upside down for the past 3 years. Is it
just the novelty that draws people to make their tomatoes hang
un-naturaly?]

Jim

Could it be sheer novelty? I've seen the Topsy-Turvey tomatoes well grown,
dripping with red and green fruits and it is "fun". It makes me smile.

I've never tasted the tomatoes, so I can't address that.

Cheryl