Old 20-03-2006, 05:44 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Steve

Default newest Phal spike below older spikes?

J Fortuna wrote:
I just noticed that one of my Phals' newest spike is below two previous
spikes. How often does that happen? I have never seen this before. Usually a
newer spike was above older spikes. This one looks like it is coming out of
the base or close to it, and it's nicely lined up with where previous spikes
started, almost exactly below them. Hmmm. I guess Phals still continue to
have some surprises up their (s)leaves for me.

Joanna

I saw that happen a couple of times in my Phals. I guess all hidden
buds, destined to be spikes, do not develop. This one of yours was going
to stay dormant but something... lets assume it was excellent culture
:-) ... triggered it to develop after all.

Steve