Old 20-03-2006, 03:31 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
J Fortuna

Default newest Phal spike below older spikes?

I just noticed that one of my Phals' newest spike is below two previous
spikes. How often does that happen? I have never seen this before. Usually a
newer spike was above older spikes. This one looks like it is coming out of
the base or close to it, and it's nicely lined up with where previous spikes
started, almost exactly below them. Hmmm. I guess Phals still continue to
have some surprises up their (s)leaves for me.

Joanna

Old 20-03-2006, 05:44 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Steve

J Fortuna wrote:
I just noticed that one of my Phals' newest spike is below two previous
spikes. How often does that happen? I have never seen this before. Usually a
newer spike was above older spikes. This one looks like it is coming out of
the base or close to it, and it's nicely lined up with where previous spikes
started, almost exactly below them. Hmmm. I guess Phals still continue to
have some surprises up their (s)leaves for me.

Joanna

I saw that happen a couple of times in my Phals. I guess all hidden
buds, destined to be spikes, do not develop. This one of yours was going
to stay dormant but something... lets assume it was excellent culture
:-) ... triggered it to develop after all.

Steve
Old 20-03-2006, 06:25 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Al

nature relies on redundancy. There are ALWAYS multiple growth buds at each
location that has them, and some sprinkled along areas where none are
suppose to be....just in case. If you strip off a node sheath on a spike
and look at it under a magnifying lens you will frequently find three or
even five dormant buds, one big one and several tiny ones. This is true
all up and down the stem of a Phal also. Buds that can grow to become new
spikes or new crowns depending on need.

Active buds produce suppressing hormones that prevent other nearby buds from
developing. remove the active bud, kill the crown, mess with those
hormones, dilute them, alter them, etc... and other buds spring into growth.

How often does it happen? Seldom enough that it is a surprise and is
somewhat remarkable but other otherwise I have no data to share.

What made it grow? I like Steve's idea but it could be all kinds of
environmental stresses and/or excesses, good and bad. Or maybe it just felt
like you needed to be thrown for a loop. Orchid plants love doing that, and
they NEVER read the manual. Neither do babies, BTW. But you have probably
figured that out by now.

Old 21-03-2006, 04:45 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
J Fortuna

Thanks, Steve and Al.

If Steve's idea is correct, then it's actually probably due to your
excellent culture, Al, since this is the Phal that I have nicknamed Big
Momma which has not been with me long enough for it to be due to my
excellent culture. Remember that I posted that it had developed an
additional new spike? Well, at that time I had not noticed that this spike
was below the older ones, but that's the one.

Yep, I know all about orchids and babies not following manuals, and I am so
glad that they don't -- makes life more interesting. :-)

Joanna

"Steve" wrote in message
J Fortuna wrote:
I just noticed that one of my Phals' newest spike is below two previous
spikes. How often does that happen? I have never seen this before.
Usually a newer spike was above older spikes. This one looks like it is
coming out of the base or close to it, and it's nicely lined up with
where previous spikes started, almost exactly below them. Hmmm. I guess
Phals still continue to have some surprises up their (s)leaves for me.

Joanna

I saw that happen a couple of times in my Phals. I guess all hidden buds,
destined to be spikes, do not develop. This one of yours was going to
stay dormant but something... lets assume it was excellent culture :-)
... triggered it to develop after all.

Steve

to let spike or not to let spike? J Fortuna Orchids 15 05-12-2005 03:38 AM
they are nibbling below sticky, below tired, towards upper onions Milton I. Hanabec United Kingdom 0 24-07-2005 01:44 PM
spike spike spike J Fortuna Orchids 2 04-09-2004 06:43 PM
OT newest talley 1004 Madgardener Gardening 0 22-09-2003 08:02 AM