Old 20-03-2006, 08:30 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
J Fortuna

Default LC purple pigment on leaf, pseudobulb, and sheath?

My Lc Tokyo Magic 'Hihimanu' x Slc. Fire Fantasy 'Hihimanu' has some purple
pigmentation on its newest pseudobulb, leaf and sheath, which is different
from older growths that were completely green. Any idea what that could mean
(if anything)? This is a mini-catt that tends to flower twice a year for me,
once very poorly and once spectacularly. The previous flowering was so poor
that I started talking about perhaps giving this plant away (in its
hearing), and that threat must have helped since now it has 4 buds coming
out of this newest sheath. :-) At previous flowerings the sheath of this Lc
tended to dry out before the buds started coming out of it, whereas this
time around the sheath is still completely green with some purple and the
buds are slowly beginning to open. It's almost behaving like a different
plant, but that is not possible. The environment that this LC has been grown
in has changed drastically this year, so I assume that that's what caused
the changes.

Joanna