Old 21-03-2006, 11:18 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Kenni Judd

Default How can you water a dehydrated Catt and Phal with no roots

Jack: You didn't say where you are located. [If you've said before, sorry,
I don't recall.] If you are up north or in an arid climate (which by my
definition includes growing indoors in an AC-d or heated area) the
"sphag-n-bag" treatment is probably the best way to go. But if you are in a
hot, humid climate like south Florida, it may not be. Warm is good, but
"hot" is not, esp. for a plant closed up in a plastic bag -- it would
steam-cook pretty quickly at our place G. And if you're already
"enjoying" 98% humidity, the bag isn't going to do much to raise that level,
anyway G.

What we do is just stand such plants, bareroot, in empty pots. Most of them
live. It's good to keep them upright so that the new growths don't come out
in odd directions.

Also accept that the existing foliage is probably going to bear some scars
from the near-death experience. But being "very thirsty" is usually an
effective prod to get some new roots started. Kenni

"J Fortuna" wrote in message
Jack,
Check this out:
http://www.firstrays.com/sphagnbag.htm
Best,
Joanna

"Jack" wrote in message
oups.com...
A catt, and one of my phals lost all of their roots and now are really
wilted. I knew that they had lost their roots but now I am concerned
because misting them dosen't appear to be giving them enough water, and
I want them to live long enough to make more roots, I had a dend. come
back, but it never looked this bad.

Jack