Old 21-03-2006, 09:19 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Jack

Default How can you water a dehydrated Catt and Phal with no roots

A catt, and one of my phals lost all of their roots and now are really
wilted. I knew that they had lost their roots but now I am concerned
because misting them dosen't appear to be giving them enough water, and
I want them to live long enough to make more roots, I had a dend. come
back, but it never looked this bad.

Jack

Old 21-03-2006, 09:26 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
J Fortuna

Jack,
Check this out:
http://www.firstrays.com/sphagnbag.htm
Best,
Joanna

oups.com...

Old 21-03-2006, 11:18 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Kenni Judd

Jack: You didn't say where you are located. [If you've said before, sorry,
I don't recall.] If you are up north or in an arid climate (which by my
definition includes growing indoors in an AC-d or heated area) the
"sphag-n-bag" treatment is probably the best way to go. But if you are in a
hot, humid climate like south Florida, it may not be. Warm is good, but
"hot" is not, esp. for a plant closed up in a plastic bag -- it would
steam-cook pretty quickly at our place G. And if you're already
"enjoying" 98% humidity, the bag isn't going to do much to raise that level,
anyway G.

What we do is just stand such plants, bareroot, in empty pots. Most of them
live. It's good to keep them upright so that the new growths don't come out
in odd directions.

Also accept that the existing foliage is probably going to bear some scars
from the near-death experience. But being "very thirsty" is usually an
effective prod to get some new roots started. Kenni

"J Fortuna" wrote in message
Jack,
Check this out:
http://www.firstrays.com/sphagnbag.htm
Best,
Joanna

oups.com...

Old 22-03-2006, 03:54 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Jack

I 'm in the great white north, currently all the humidity is on the
ground being quite slippery. I did the one day soak which worked with
afew other orchids that were dry, but they had roots. I am putting
them in bags this morning, guess I'll see in afew months if it works.
Thanks for the help

Jack

Old 22-03-2006, 11:35 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Kenni Judd

Yes, by all means do the bags for humidity. Not sure if anyone else has
mentioned, but there is another (unproven by me, others may know more)
theory that if, as you close the bags, you can blow them up with a straw
[your exhalation is supposed to be largely CO2] and then close them
expanded, it might help. Good luck, Kenni

oups.com...

Old 23-03-2006, 04:32 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
?

On Wed, 22 Mar 2006 18:35:33 -0500 in Kenni Judd wrote:
Yes, by all means do the bags for humidity. Not sure if anyone else has
mentioned, but there is another (unproven by me, others may know more)
theory that if, as you close the bags, you can blow them up with a straw
[your exhalation is supposed to be largely CO2] and then close them
expanded, it might help. Good luck, Kenni

It's mostly nitrogen :-).
However, the CO2 levels are higher :-).

Also, if you happen to have LECA and an appropriate container,
that may work better for you.
I seem to always end up with a crop of mold when I use spaghnum,
but haven't tried using only physan solution to wet the spag.
--
Chris Dukes
Suspicion breeds confidence -- Brazil
Old 24-03-2006, 07:28 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Jack

I already had them in S/H, I soaked them for a day in a mixure of neem
oil, Pure Blend, a 1,.5,1 compost with 7% Humic acid, SuperThrive, and
Lilly Miller Vita Start, which has Iron and 1-naphthaleneacetic acid,
and Indole-3-butyric acid, which are rooting hormones. So if they
don't start producing roots it won't be from lack of love or chemistry.
I am preaty mad to those two, as they are the only ones so far to
loose all their roots from switching over to S/H, the witches brew I
feed the others seem to work from all the new growth, you should see
my spider plant I threw in the used water tray, it has grown a foot in
3 months, but as always the proof is in the blooms.

Jack