Old 22-03-2006, 01:45 AM posted to sci.bio.botany
Eric Haines

Default Improved wildflower and tree identification pages

With Spring here, I decided to make a few little improvements to my free
wildflower and tree identification programs:

http://www.realtimerendering.com/trees/trees.html for trees
http://www.realtimerendering.com/flowers/flowers.html for wildflowers

Now when you get a list of flower or tree matches, there is a "photos"
link for each, giving you access to Google's image searcher.

There are also free downloadable standalone versions (for when you
happen to be carrying your laptop in the wilderness; I really should
make a PDA version someday...).

I haven't done anything with the somewhat peculiar quiz generators for
each site, e.g. you still get peculiar questions like:

Which characteristic does a Willow have?
A. Leaves are more than 3 times as long as broad
B. Conifer fruit is Berry-like

Somehow I'm betting it's "A"... There's no knowledge in the quiz maker
to not bother mixing coniferous and deciduous trees. Still, it's kinda fun.

Enjoy,

Eric