Old 21-03-2006, 10:28 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
George.com

Default I need a little help...

"clueless" wrote in message

I have a question about my backyard, I just bought my house 2 months ago
here in Reno NV. I live alone and I want to fix my backyard by myself.
The problem I see on my backyard is that the soil is so soft. When it's
sunny it's hard but when it snow, it is very soft..I was wondering when
is the best time to fix the backyard. Do i need to put more soil to get
the land harder? What should I do to get the soil harder? Because I want
to put some grasses soon. Ok thank you if somebody can give me some tips
and advise because I want to save money...thanks

is it the soil which is 'soft' in snow or the grass covering itself? In dry
spells the soil in the front garden does rock hard yet the grass still
survives, whilst perhaps browning off a bit. When the autumn rains arrive
the ground soaks up the water yet the grass covering is soft and spongy. The
grass does ok there and is in no need of re turfing. You may need to dfine
better how the soil is 'soft'. Does the grass grow well? Does it stay
relatively green all year round without dying off completely over summer? Is
it quite thick with minimal weed? If so, the hardness/softness of your soil
may be immaterial as the grass does well in it.

rob