Old 14-02-2003, 11:15 PM
Dr. Rev. Chuck, M.D. P.A.

Default Pruning Fruit Trees

Tiffany wrote:

I have the following trees...Peach, Apricot, Nectarine, Plum, cherry, 3
apple, a pear,plumcot and a pluott. They have been in the ground for one
year..so I am tying to figure out how to train them into their proper
shape..thanks again

Are the trees *themselves* one year olds?

If so, except for removing damaged or diseased limbs, they're not ready.
Leave as many branches (and hence foliage) as possible to feed the tree.
Keep mulched and weeded. Year three should see the lowest branches removed
*if* necessary. Years four and five get the most pruning -- thinning, to
keep the crown open. Years six and thereafter get none, save (again) to
remove diseased and damaged limbs.

Don't paint pruning cuts. Don't top. If you want easily reached fruit,
plant dwarf cultivars. Standard fruit trees left in natural form are
glorious in full spring bloom, well worth the partial lost harvest.

Tsu Dho Nimh wrote in message
..
"Tiffany" wrote:

hello does anyone have any good information on Pruning Fruit Trees?

thanks

What kind of fruit trees?

If you prune them the wrong way, you will not get any fruit.

Tsu

--
To doubt everything or to believe everything
are two equally convenient solutions; both