Old 14-02-2003, 10:51 AM
John A. Keslick, Jr.

Default Pruning Fruit Trees

PS: Remember, people will spend alot of money on treatments they do not
understand. But, will not spend money on books that will help them
understand.
--
Sincerely,

John A. Keslick, Jr.
Tree Biologist
www.chesco.com/~treeman
Beware of so-called TREE EXPERTS who do not understand TREE BIOLOGY!

"Tiffany" wrote in message
hello does anyone have any good information on Pruning Fruit Trees? thanks

Old 14-02-2003, 01:15 PM
Dwayne

Cut off all dead wood, branches that are growing toward the center of the
tree, water spouts (the small ones that grow straight up), those growing
down, and those that, if left alone, will rub on another branch.

Prune apple & pear trees so their shape will resemble a Christmas tree.
Plums could be shaped into a ball. Peach, apricot, and nectarines should
resemble a funnel. You want to open the center on the sunny side of the
tree so as much sunlight will reach the interior of the tree as possible.

Make your cuts above a bud facing the direction you want the branch to grow,
and cut them at an angle to encourage the water to run off and away from the
limb. Make all cuts while the tree is in dormancy. Iike to do my pruning
in February, weather permitting.

Good luck. Dwayne

Old 14-02-2003, 01:27 PM
Tsu Dho Nimh

"Tiffany" wrote:

hello does anyone have any good information on Pruning Fruit Trees? thanks

What kind of fruit trees?

If you prune them the wrong way, you will not get any fruit.

Tsu

--
To doubt everything or to believe everything
are two equally convenient solutions; both
Old 14-02-2003, 04:51 PM
animaux

As a side note, since we are airing out pet peeves, "a lot" are two words, not
one.

Old 14-02-2003, 08:51 PM
John A. Keslick, Jr.

PS's You would prune the roots (woody) different than you woulf prune the
stem. I suggest sticking with the pruning book for targets.

Good Luck

Old 14-02-2003, 11:15 PM
Dr. Rev. Chuck, M.D. P.A.

Tiffany wrote:

I have the following trees...Peach, Apricot, Nectarine, Plum, cherry, 3
apple, a pear,plumcot and a pluott. They have been in the ground for one
year..so I am tying to figure out how to train them into their proper
shape..thanks again

Are the trees *themselves* one year olds?

If so, except for removing damaged or diseased limbs, they're not ready.
Leave as many branches (and hence foliage) as possible to feed the tree.
Keep mulched and weeded. Year three should see the lowest branches removed
*if* necessary. Years four and five get the most pruning -- thinning, to
keep the crown open. Years six and thereafter get none, save (again) to
remove diseased and damaged limbs.

Don't paint pruning cuts. Don't top. If you want easily reached fruit,
plant dwarf cultivars. Standard fruit trees left in natural form are
glorious in full spring bloom, well worth the partial lost harvest.

Tsu Dho Nimh wrote in message
..

Old 16-02-2003, 01:27 AM
John A. Keslick, Jr.

Tiffany

If you make a mistake with the targets on the plum and peach trees the
symplast will not last very long. They respond to pruning internally
differently than apples. I have dissected peach trees and this is very
obvious. Again, the PRUNING GUIDE by SHIGO and MODERN ARBORICULTURE is your
best bet. Maybe your library has them? If not they can ordeer them for
you.

--
Sincerely,

John A. Keslick, Jr.
Tree Biologist
www.chesco.com/~treeman
Beware of so-called TREE EXPERTS who do not understand TREE BIOLOGY!

.. .

Old 16-02-2003, 05:51 AM

my itty bitty orchard. that is the book I have
http://puregold.aquaria.net/orchard/orchard.html
Ingrid

"Tiffany" wrote:

hello does anyone have any good information on Pruning Fruit Trees? thanks

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.