Old 13-03-2003, 04:20 PM
Bob Bauer

Default Mature size of these roses

Julie said:

I've heard great things about GaA for years, seems it's on many
peoples favorites list. But when I asked Diann Giles about buying
this one, she said they didn't carry it because she had never seen a
healthy, thriving plant. I wonder if it just doesn't like our
weather? I guess I'm about to find out.

Interesting. There are SO many roses that are climate dependent. For
example the famous rose 'Queen Elizabeth' , a rose so great and unique
that they invented a new category of roses because of its
characteristics (the 'Grandiflora'), does horribly awful in my
climate of cold winters and hot dry summers. I have talked to many
members of the Utah rose society, and they all say the same thing: QE
does not do well here.

This plant that is supposed to be tall and floriferous, in my yard is
2 feet tall and 18 inches wide and puts out maybe 5 blooms a year. Go
figure.

Bob Bauer
Zone 6 in Salt Lake City
http://www.rose-roses.com/