Old 23-03-2006, 07:19 PM posted to rec.gardens
cat daddy

Default Ligustrum

"David E. Ross" wrote in message
news
cat daddy wrote:
"George.com" wrote in message
"cat daddy" wrote in message
"Yaderp" wrote in message
I am wanting some hedges in my yard. Someone suggested ligustrum. I

am
pretty sure this is Privet. Anyone have experience, good or bad, with
this
variety? Is this a rhyzome? How tall will it get in the Southeastern
U.S.
(Tennessee)?
Don't plant it, please. Contact your agricultural agent or a

clued-in
garden store for recommendations of non-invasive native species for

your
area.
it is deemed a noxious weed in NZ and on the hit list. My wife found a

nice
little shrub gorwing in the garden a couple years back, resited it and

gave
it some tlc. It was doing ok until one afternoon the neighbour, who is
allergic to privet, came round and sked if she could remove the privet

shrub
from our front garden as it was causing her irritation. From memory the
privet make a good fire starter one night.

Years ago in ignorance, I planted Red Tip Photinia as a privacy

hedge,
thinking it native to my area because it was all over town. As a virus
wiped them out, I eyed some ligustrum that had popped up in my

flowerbeds as
a replacement. As they spread wildly and I learned that they were

considered
a pest species, I realized the error of my judgement that if it's

common, it
must be native.
I recently wiped out a huge stand of ligustrum at the park where I
volunteer that was severely affecting the native pecan trees. They had

been
blocking sunlight, robbing soil moisture, and rotting the limbs as they
affected air flow and humidity.
It's criminal the big box "garden centers" continue to sell

non-natives to
the un-suspecting public.

But roses, citrus, camellias, and many other very desirable plants are
non-native.

Perhaps I should have re-stated "invasive" non-natives......... In
re-reading a catalog of preferred species for my location, there were mostly
non-native, yet non-invasive recommendations. There were also some listed
that pre-existed in my yard and I cannot remove. There is the lone Nandina
domestica, who has not proliferated, as well as Mimosa that has replaced the
horrible Hackberries....... I am allowing some English Ivy to be displaced
by some unknown vine.....