Old 21-03-2006, 10:49 AM posted to rec.gardens
George.com

Default Ligustrum

"cat daddy" wrote in message

"Yaderp" wrote in message
I am wanting some hedges in my yard. Someone suggested ligustrum. I am
pretty sure this is Privet. Anyone have experience, good or bad, with

this
variety? Is this a rhyzome? How tall will it get in the Southeastern

U.S.
(Tennessee)?

Don't plant it, please. Contact your agricultural agent or a clued-in
garden store for recommendations of non-invasive native species for your
area.

it is deemed a noxious weed in NZ and on the hit list. My wife found a nice
little shrub gorwing in the garden a couple years back, resited it and gave
it some tlc. It was doing ok until one afternoon the neighbour, who is
allergic to privet, came round and sked if she could remove the privet shrub
from our front garden as it was causing her irritation. From memory the
privet make a good fire starter one night.

rob

Old 22-03-2006, 09:09 PM posted to rec.gardens
Yaderp

--
Yaderp

Peeing on an electric fence is one of those life lesson you only have to be
taught once.
Old 22-03-2006, 10:22 PM posted to rec.gardens
Bill R

Yaderp wrote:

I am wanting some hedges in my yard. Someone suggested ligustrum. I am
pretty sure this is Privet. Anyone have experience, good or bad, with this
variety? Is this a rhyzome? How tall will it get in the Southeastern U.S.
(Tennessee)?

Google is your friend:

Lots of information there.
--
Bill R. (Ohio Valley, U.S.A)

Gardening Since 1969

Old 23-03-2006, 01:29 AM posted to rec.gardens
David E. Ross

Yaderp wrote:
I am wanting some hedges in my yard. Someone suggested ligustrum. I am
pretty sure this is Privet. Anyone have experience, good or bad, with this
variety? Is this a rhyzome? How tall will it get in the Southeastern U.S.
(Tennessee)?

Ligustrum is a woody shrub, commonly called privet. Some can grow quite
tall. L. lucidum grows as a tree.

Note that some people (me included) are allegic to the flowers. Even
the mere aroma from a distance (as far as 200 ft) starts my throat
tickling and constricting.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean
Old 23-03-2006, 02:27 AM posted to rec.gardens
cat daddy

"Yaderp" wrote in message
I am wanting some hedges in my yard. Someone suggested ligustrum. I am
pretty sure this is Privet. Anyone have experience, good or bad, with this
variety? Is this a rhyzome? How tall will it get in the Southeastern U.S.
(Tennessee)?

Don't plant it, please. Contact your agricultural agent or a clued-in
garden store for recommendations of non-invasive native species for your
area.

Southeast Exotic Pest Plant Council Invasive Plant Manual
http://www.se-eppc.org/manual/privet.html
Common Name: Privet
Scientific Name: Ligustrum spp.

INVASIVE EXOTIC PEST PLANTS IN TENNESSEE
http://www.tneppc.org/TNEPPC2004PlantList-8x11.pdf
Ligustrum sinense Lour. Chinese privet
Ligustrum vulgare L. Common privet

Old 23-03-2006, 11:56 AM posted to rec.gardens
cat daddy

"George.com" wrote in message

"cat daddy" wrote in message

"Yaderp" wrote in message
[...]

Years ago in ignorance, I planted Red Tip Photinia as a privacy hedge,
thinking it native to my area because it was all over town. As a virus
wiped them out, I eyed some ligustrum that had popped up in my flowerbeds as
a replacement. As they spread wildly and I learned that they were considered
a pest species, I realized the error of my judgement that if it's common, it
must be native.
I recently wiped out a huge stand of ligustrum at the park where I
volunteer that was severely affecting the native pecan trees. They had been
blocking sunlight, robbing soil moisture, and rotting the limbs as they
affected air flow and humidity.
It's criminal the big box "garden centers" continue to sell non-natives to
the un-suspecting public.

Old 23-03-2006, 03:34 PM posted to rec.gardens
David E. Ross

cat daddy wrote:
"George.com" wrote in message
"cat daddy" wrote in message
"Yaderp" wrote in message
[...]

But roses, citrus, camellias, and many other very desirable plants are
non-native.

Old 23-03-2006, 07:19 PM posted to rec.gardens
cat daddy

"David E. Ross" wrote in message
news
cat daddy wrote:
"George.com" wrote in message
"cat daddy" wrote in message
"Yaderp" wrote in message
[...]

Perhaps I should have re-stated "invasive" non-natives......... In
re-reading a catalog of preferred species for my location, there were mostly
non-native, yet non-invasive recommendations. There were also some listed
that pre-existed in my yard and I cannot remove. There is the lone Nandina
domestica, who has not proliferated, as well as Mimosa that has replaced the
horrible Hackberries....... I am allowing some English Ivy to be displaced
by some unknown vine.....

Old 24-03-2006, 01:41 AM
Aly Aly is offline
Registered User

Location: Lanarkshire, Scotland
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaderp
I am wanting some hedges in my yard. Someone suggested ligustrum. I am
pretty sure this is Privet. Anyone have experience, good or bad, with this
variety? Is this a rhyzome? How tall will it get in the Southeastern U.S.
(Tennessee)?

--
Yaderp

Peeing on an electric fence is one of those life lesson you only have to be
taught once.
Everone is being so negative about privet. Like any plant, it can be beautiful in the right situation.
I have replaced a wooden trellis that separated my garden with privet.
Rather than pruning, I carve the hedge with an electric trimmer and make curves. It really is like carving wood with a chainsaw but without the effort. It is ideal for topiary, so i will be creating some interesting shapes/animals as well.

Looks better and more natural than a fence or trellis any day!
Old 24-03-2006, 06:12 PM posted to rec.gardens
raycruzer

See all the weeds in your state or region at the Ergonica World of
Weeds.

Dr. Yucca: Nature makes plants, humans make weeds.

Old 25-03-2006, 07:53 PM posted to rec.gardens
Treedweller

On Fri, 24 Mar 2006 01:41:36 +0000, Aly
wrote:

Yaderp Wrote:
[...]

nobody said it couldn't be attractive. The problem is that it is a
noxious, invasive weed. It prolifically reproduces (spread long
distances by birds) and eventually alters ecosystems, leading to
reduction in native flora. Please do not plant any more ligustrum and
consider replacing those you have with more benign substitutes.

Old 27-03-2006, 03:59 PM posted to rec.gardens
Yaderp

Treedweller wrote in
news
wrote:

Yaderp Wrote:
[...]

Such as . . . .?

Old 28-03-2006, 12:13 AM posted to rec.gardens
Treedweller

On Mon, 27 Mar 2006 14:59:57 +0000 (UTC), Yaderp
wrote:

Treedweller wrote in
news
wrote:

Yaderp Wrote:
[...]

Not sure what does best there, but here in Austin we do well with
yaupon holly and/or wax myrtle for year-round foliage.

Old 28-03-2006, 07:54 PM posted to rec.gardens
Yaderp

Treedweller wrote in
:

Such as . . . .?

the best suggestion you got was to contact your county extension agent
or go to a good, local nursery for ideas that will work for your area.

I live in Warren County, Tennessee. For those that don't know, Warren
County is considered the Nursery Capital of the world. We have more than
600 nurseries in our county. It is the single largest industry here.
Unfortunately, it is impossible to get reliable information in this
environment due to all information being biased towards what is working,
economically speaking, in the industry at the moment. Ligustrum is the
answer I have been given at every nursery I have visited, except for those
that are heavily invested in other varieties. Likewise, our County Agent is
sensitive to the nursery industry. We have a huge, state-funded research
station here and gues what? They research species that will benefit the
nursery industry. Oh well, we certainly have a great variety to choose
from, though it may not always be what is the best variety.

--
Yaderp

Peeing on an electric fence is one of those life lesson you only have to be
taught once.

[IMG] code is On

[IBC] ligustrum [and extra added fig question] Nina Shishkoff Bonsai 5 07-01-2004 11:07 AM
[IBC] ligustrum Conor Sipe Bonsai 2 07-01-2004 10:42 AM
[IBC] ligustrum leaves Jim Lewis Bonsai 0 26-07-2003 01:12 PM
[IBC] Ligustrum Probs......trying to stop it dying :o( Jim Lewis Bonsai 1 17-06-2003 07:20 AM
Ligustrum Probs......trying to stop it dying :o( Derek Bonsai 0 16-06-2003 06:05 PM