Old 13-03-2003, 05:20 PM
Larry Blanchard

Default Pruning Fruit Trees

In article ,
says...
"Tiffany" wrote in message .. .
hello does anyone have any good information on Pruning Fruit Trees? thanks

I need advice on pruning 2 super sweet Peach trees. I bought them from
Lowes and they are already in bloom and the leaves are coming out all
over the tree. According to the book I bought on fruit trees, I'm
suppose to prune this tree by cutting off the main trunk 30 inches off
of the ground and then cutting back the branches in a cup shape.

Don't do it now - the tree has to be dormant.

I don't know how large your tree is, but many years ago I bought my first
peach tree through the mail from Starks. It was about 5' high with
several branches. I still remember the pruning instructions that came
with it. They ended with "The effect you want is that of a stubby
flagpole."

I figured it'd kill the tree, but I turned it into a stubby flagpole.
The tree grew so great and had so much fruit that I had to prop up the
branches by the end of the year :-).

--
It's turtles - all the way down!